Winter is already here. It’s cold, but the good thing about winter is we can enjoy warm and tasty winter dishes with snow. But there are many winter dishes in the US in a different shape in each state, from Buffalo wing to Texas brisket. let’s check what kind of winter dishes include vintage(Traditional), Iconic, comfort, and healthy options are waiting for us until the end of this season.
Vintage Recipes that are Still Popular Today
Cinnamon toast is a favorite with many children, just toast some bread, top it with butter, cinnamon and sugar and enjoy.
Frito Pie is another old favorite. It was mainly served at Texas high school football games, school cafeterias, and county fairs. It is quite a simple recipe: Slice open a small bag of Fritos, add a big spoon of beef chili, and top with chopped onions, a generous sprinkling of cheddar cheese, and if you’re feeling decadent, a dollop of sour cream.
Sloppy Joes packed full of ground beef goodness! When made right, these sandwiches taste great. It’s very famous food especially in mid west area include Michigan and Minnesota. Hot grounded meat with sweet and favorable filling with burger breads are perfect combination for winter season.
Although created in the 1960s, Buffalo chicken covered these fried chicken wings covered in a cayenne-vinegar hot sauce (buffalo sauce) are a definite favorite at parties and celebrations. It was originated from a famous restaurant called “anchor bar” in buffalo, NY.
Hot dogs are similar to the burger and have some regional variations, for example, New York-style with ketchup and relish and Chicago-style served on a poppy seed bun with absolutely no ketchup.
Meatloaf is a portion of hearty comfort food for most Americans, with many households having their own family recipe for this classic dish. Typically it is made with ground meat and seasonings, made into a loaf shape either using a loaf pan or shaped by hand, which is then roasted and served with sauce or ketchup.
Grits is another classic Southern American dish, made from coarsely ground corn kernels, and generally found in savory dishes but can also be made into a sweet treat. A traditional dish is shrimp and grits, but grits are also a popular breakfast item in place of oatmeal.
Comfort winter foods
Comport foods are food with a hot soup such as stew and soup. but here are some typical comfort foods to make you more warm and sleepy during the winter season.
The All American Beef Stew, the first step in any beef stew, is selecting the beef. The ingredients are mushrooms, onions, carrots, peas, potatoes, and beef chuck roll. This is a classic dish that most Americans will want on a cold winter night!
In Idaho, they enjoy a bowl of hearty potato soup; after all, it is considered ‘potato country.’ This recipe initially used heavy cream and bacon fat, but many Americans now make a healthier version!
Finally, let’ finish with this classic dish ‘New Orleans Gumbo‘ – this heavily seasoned soup or stew combines several varieties of meat or seafood with a sauce or gravy.
Iconic American Cuisine
Americans are renowned for loving their food, and why not, with so many delicious foods to choose from. Not all of it is healthy, but it all tastes good. America is famous for its corn dogs, clam chowder, and burgers. A recent study found though that the number 1 food in America is pizza!
When we consider American cuisine, typically we think about fast food like hot dogs, fried chicken, and chocolate chip cookies, but that is not really the case. The Texas Brisket has got to be one of the most well-known American winter dishes as well. America is a melting pot for different flavors and good food!
One dish growing during the winter season in popularity though is the Spicy chicken sandwich, which grew in popularity by 299% during 2020, and is set to top the charts again in 2021! Making the spicy chicken sandwich the hottest (literally and figuratively) food according to a recent survey. Closely followed by the plan based burger growing in popularity by 291% during 2020!
Iconic winter Pies
No matter what state in America you live in, winter is a great time to indulge yourself in hearty, wholesome food! For example, in Alabama, they are rather partial to carrot fruit cake, which is a simple way of dressing up the more classic fruit cake.
But possibly the best-known dish is the apple pie. Everyone has heard the saying “American as apple pie” which is why this sweet treat is considered a national institution! The combination of sugar, buttery pastry, and tart sliced apples produce a dessert that so many people have devoted their entire lives to perfecting.
Or maybe you prefer the Key Lime Pie famous in Florida, which is where the tiny limes that go in this pie come from, making it the official pie of Florida.
Unique winter burgers
America is, of cause also famous for its burgers with Peanut butter and bacon being Southern style and coleslaw and tomatoes, a Northern version.
The popularity of the hamburger and cheeseburger is indisputable. Traditional, gourmet, fast food, with bacon, sliders, green chili, Juicy Lucy style, and the list go on and on. So if there is one food that is American, it will be the burger.
Healthy winter food recipe suggestion
www.taste.com.au suggests “15 healthier option of winter dish options” So if you want a healthier way to cook winter dishes please check below 15 dish’s recipes. You can also enjoy healthy and tasty options at home with those recipes.
- Low-cal chicken and mushroom one-pot: This nourishing vegetarian version of the strong is just the thing on a cold winter’s night.
- Mushroom stroganoff: This nourishing vegetarian version of the strong is just the thing on a cold winter’s night.
- Low-cal beef stroganoff: This better-for-you beef stroganoff is low in calories but full of flavor. Plus, it’s ready in just 30 minutes.
- Healthy slow cooker French chicken recipe: Slow-cooked dishes can be healthy (and creamy!) with a few tweaks, like this low-cal creamy French chicken.
- Cauliflower, kale, and pepita soup: A low-cal, super-nutritious veg soup to dive your spoon into.
- Healthier creamy zucchini and mushroom pappardelle: A dish the whole family will love try this quick and easy pasta packed with mushrooms and zucchini.
- Healthy chicken noodle soup: Full of nutrient-dense veggies, including broccolini and bok choy, and chicken things for iron, this hearty Asian-inspired chicken noodle soup is good for the body and soul!
- Lighter creamy chicken and pumpkin bake: Packed with 2.5 serves of vegs and using light cooking cream and cream cheese, this chicken and pumpkin bake is still creamy and cheesy but won’t weigh you down.
- Keto cauliflower and bacon soup: This keto cauliflower and bacon soup will be your new favorite hearty recipe.
- Healthy creamy tomato soup: Recreate classic tomato soup with this creamy and delicious alternative.
- Healthy tuna pasta bake: This cheesy tuna pasta bake is the perfect dinner for those busy nights with only 10 minutes of preparation and will keep all the family happy!
- Healthy harissa chicken, lentil, and kale tray bake: Packed full of flavor, this healthy tray bake has over 3 serves of veg per serve and with added protein of chicken and lentils. It is a great winter dinner option that will impress all the family.
- Healthier chicken Diane: For a healthy-ish twist on the traditional, whip up this creamy chicken Diane for a family dinner tonight
- Healthy Spanish chicken and beans: Searching for healthy meal prep recipe ideas? This low-cal one-pan chicken and beans dish ticks all the right boxes.
- Healthy pork stir-fry with rice noodles and broccolini: Get your noodle around this combo: lip-smacking South East Asian flavors in just 30 minutes – and it’s gluten-free and low in calories and fat!
America is a melting pot of flavor and food, with each state having its favorites! From choices such as the All American Beef Stew to the classic ‘New Orleans Gumbo,’ there is so much to choose from.